One injured in apartment fire

Julie Lewis | The Daily Star

Oneonta firefighters work at the scene of a fire in an apartment building at the Mayrose Apartments at 9 Lewis Ave. on Friday evening.

A fire that originated on a cook top sent one person to the hospital on Friday, July 12.

The fire happened at 6:22 p.m. starting in apartment 206 at 9 Lewis Ave, according to Oneonta Fire Capt. Mike Mancini.

The only person in the apartment was transported to A.O. Fox Hospital by American Medical Response. No details on any injuries sustained by the resident were release.

A resident of apartment 202, who was not home at the time, was displaced because of smoke and water damage, Mancini said. All other people in the complex was fine.

Oneonta Fire Department responded to the fire and was assisted by West Oneonta and Otego department, Mancini said, and a FAST team response by Worcester Sidney and Franklin departments was canceled en route because it not needed.