ONEONTA _ An alleged anti-lesbian shoving incident at State University College at Oneonta last week is under investigation by campus police.

In a campuswide bulletin sent Wednesday morning, a top college administrator warned against bullying students based on sexual orientation, gave basic details of the alleged incident and encouraged anyone with information to contact the University Police Department.

The college's student newspaper, State Times, broke the story in its Wednesday edition.

The allegation involves senior Kelsey Klopfer, who said she was shoved into a bathroom wall at Milne Library by someone she didn't know and called a "(expletive) dyke," according to the State Times' report.

Klopfer, a volleyball player, came out as gay in the spring and received the support of her teammates and her coach, Colleen Cashman, State Times Editor-in-Chief Juliette Price reported.

Klopfer, contacted via cell phone by The Daily Star on Wednesday afternoon, declined to comment.

Her coach, Colleen Cashman, also did not wish to comment on the alleged incident, citing important volleyball matches coming up this weekend.

"Our focus is on our team right now," she said.

Cashman is in her 12th year coaching the women's volleyball team and is also a physical education lecturer at the college.

Although SUNY Oneonta Vice President for Student Development Steven Perry did not name Klopfer in the bulletin, he confirmed the allegation.

"I am sad to report that our University Police Department received a complaint alleging such an incident, which occurred on Oct. 7 at 9:30 a.m. in the first floor restroom of Milne Library," Perry wrote. "Here are the details as presented to me: a female pushed a female student against the wall, made negative remarks about lesbians, then ran out of the restroom."

Lt. Michael O'Donnell of SUNY Oneonta University Police referred media inquiries to the Community Relations Office.

SUNY Oneonta Director of Communications Hal Legg, responding by e-mail to a Daily Star request for comment, said the college "values, and is committed to, inclusion and diversity, and we are dismayed and disappointed by this act. The college takes this and every report of bullying seriously."

No arrest has been made and the investigation is ongoing, he said.

"In addition, today Vice President for Student Development Steven Perry reached out to all college employees and students via e-mail," Legg said, "calling for anyone who may have information about this act to step forward -- anonymously, if desired -- and share it with our University Police."

Trending Video

Recommended for you