TDS0225 ART -- For HS Roundup (13; if needed)

BRIAN C. HOREY Margaretville's Dylan Shaffer is fouled as he drives the lane during the first quarter of Saturday's Section Four Class D quarterfinal against visiting Marathon.


It’s off to the Carrier Dome for Cooperstown’s girls.

Freshman Elizabeth Millea scored her varsity high of 26 points _ 12 coming in the fourth quarter _ to lead the Redskins to a 50-45 Section Three Class C-1 championship victory over Little Falls on Saturday at Onondaga Community College.

“We knew Liz was getting by people easily,” Cooperstown coach Mike Niles said. “We were calling some ball-screen stuff for her and she had some baskets off of broken stuff.

“I don’t think the perimeter people they had were quick enough to guard her off of the dribble,” he continued.

The Redskins (19-2) will play C-2 winner Weedsport at 6:45 p.m. Thursday in the championship at the Carrier Dome. Cooperstown is in search of its first overall Section Three title since advancing to the Class C state semifinals in 2008.

Weedsport (18-3) advanced with a 58-51 victory over Fabius-Pompey on Saturday.

“They extended the floor (Saturday) and their guards are fast,” Niles said of Weedsport.

Cooperstown bolted to a 32-15 halftime lead Saturday. Millea, Sumer Murdock and Nicole Cring scored five points apiece as the Redskins outscored Little Falls, 17-7, in the second quarter.

“We had a real balanced second quarter,” Niles said. “I knew we were comfortable with how to guard (Gen) Schoff.”

But Schoff scored 11 of her team-high 19 points in the third quarter, leading a 19-5 Little Falls run that closed the gap to 37-34 opening the fourth quarter.

“They took the momentum, but we absorbed the blow,” Niles said.

Included in Millea’s big fourth quarter was a 4-for-7 showing at the free throw line. In the final 2 ½ minutes, she both ends of two 1-and-1 situations as Cooperstown extended its lead to eight.

Cooperstown still led by seven before Little Falls scored just before the final buzzer.

Alannah Haggerty spent most of the game guarding Schoff. She also had eight points and 10 rebounds.

“Haggerty played really good defense on Schoff,” Niles said.


O-M 56, Sidney 53

Top-seeded Sidney suffered through a poor shooting night and lost to eighth-seeded Odessa-Montour in a Section Four Class C quarterfinal Saturday at Sidney.

“We did not make much more than layups,” said Sidney coach Mike Brazee, whose team followed a 16-game winning streak with losses to Unatego (in the Midstate Athletic Conference final) and O-M. “I was talking to assistant coach Don Pierce after the game and I said we went 0-for-9 in the paint in the second half on shots that weren’t layups.”

The Indians’ Morgan Shutter scored all but three of his game-high 18 points in the second half.

“He got to the basket,” Brazee said. “He started penetrating a lot. They ran a lot of isolation with him and (Tom) Peckham. He made a couple of wild shots, but he got into the lane and to the basket a lot more in the second half.”

Peckham, O-M’s center, finished with 16 points. Brazee said he was a big reason the Warriors finished with three offensive rebounds.

Damian Zimmer and Brandon Walters had 15 and 13 points, respectively, for Sidney, who led by 11 points in the second quarter before O-M closed the half on a 12-4 run.

“To win 16 games in a row and run the table in the league was good, but it was a disappointing end, losing the MAC final and our first game in sectionals,” Brazee said. “But most of the season was very good.”

Watkins Glen 64,

Unatego 37

Jesse Teeter had 24 points to lead four Watkins Glen players in double figures as the fourth-seeded Senecas cruised into the sectional semifinals.

“I totally underestimated them,” Unatego coach Jim Knight said. “I saw them play in their league championship and I thought we could match up with them. They played much better Saturday.

“They had a point guard (Teeter) we had trouble containing and we couldn’t throw it in the ocean, but a lot of that was them,” he continued.

Teeter, a left-hander, scored 17 points as WG opened a 41-18 first-half lead.

“He’s a very good player,” said Knight, whose fifth-seeded team finished the season at 15-5. “We had trouble keeping him in front of us.”

Quinn Barnhart had 10 points to lead the Spartans, who earned their second straight Midstate Athletic Conference title with an overtime win over Sidney last Saturday. Tyler Butler and Phil Youngs finished with nine and eight points, respectively.

“Butler, Barnhart and Youngs have been with me for three years,” Knight said. “I’ve seen them grow over the years. It’s been a good run for those guys.”


Edmeston 51, Gilboa 44

Apparently, Edmeston didn’t get the memo that 14th-seeded teams aren’t supposed to win twice in sectionals.

As the last of the teams to qualify for the Section Four Class D tournament, the Panthers pulled their second straight upset Saturday at 11th-seeded Gilboa.

“I keep telling my kids we were the last seed in the bracket, so we’re not supposed to win,” said Edmeston coach Darren Belden, whose team opened the tournament by surprising third-seeded Richfield Springs, 51-48. “We have no pressure. We’re the underdog.”

Clayton Hawes had 15 point to lead four Edmeston players who scored at least nine points. Logan Vibbard had 14 points, Nick DeVries had 10, and Brandon Fallon contributed nine points and eight rebounds.

“We don’t care who scores as long as our score is highest,” Belden said of his team’s balance. “It’s hard to tell who’ll be the highest scorer for us, so teams really can’t key on one guy against us.”

The Panthers (10-9) took a 19-10 lead after one quarter. Hawes had eight points in the first quarter.

Gilboa (11-8), led by Christian Cooper’s 10 points, fell behind by 11 points at halftime before outscoring Edmeston, 14-8, in the third quarter.

The Wildcats, who received seven points and nine rebounds from Tyler Latta, closed to three points in the fourth quarter.

But Fallon scored seven points over the final eight minutes to help keep the Panthers in the lead.

“We knew they were hurt early on and that their record was not indicative of how good they were,” Gilboa coach Andy Dumas said. “Their height bothered us. They had a couple of big kids.”

Next for Edmeston is a semifinal matchup with 10th-seeded Marathon on Wednesday at Oneonta State.

“Nothing, to be honest with you,” Belden said of what he knows about the Olympians, who’ve beaten seventh-seeded South Kortright and No. 2 Margaretville to advance to the semifinals. “I’ll have to try to call around and see what I can find out.”

Marathon 55,

Margaretville 49

Ryan Sanford had 13 points and 14 rebounds, and Mitch Hull finished with 12 points and nine rebounds, but No. 2 Margaretville lost at home in a sectional quarterfinal Saturday.

“They were good,” Margaretville coach Jeremey Marks said of a Marathon squad that recently lost, 65-61, at Oneonta High in a non-league game. “They’re better than their record. Their league (the Interscholastic Athletic Conference) has Bs and Cs. It was a tough game. They have good players and they’re balanced inside and out.”

The Blue Devils (16-3), who beat South Kortright to win the Delaware League championship, fell behind, 14-7, after one quarter. They responded by outscoring Marathon, 24-19, in the second quarter.

Sanford had nine points, Hull had six, Matt VanValkenburg contributed five and Kyle Short (five assists) chipped in four in the second quarter.

Offensive production dropped for both teams in the second half as Marathon outscored Margaretville, 21-17, after halftime.

The Blue Devils had their deficit to two points in the fourth quarter and had a chance to tie or take the lead but failed to do so.

Marathon big man Jeff Contir then made a three-point play and the Olympians hit their free throws down the stretch to seal it. Contir finished with a game-high 23 points and Marathon went 21-for-26 from the free throw line.

“I think it was a great season,” Marks said. “I’m proud of where the came from and winning the crossover was special. Our guys deserved it. It’s been a goal of theirs. Like I told the guys, it was a great year and there’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

Morris 77,

Southern Cayuga 60

Mike DeLuca’s 25 points and 13 rebounds led a top-seeded Morris squad that poured in 45 points after halftime to pull away for a quarterfinal victory at home.

The Mustangs (17-1) scored 30 points in the final quarter, including a 15-for-18 performance from the free throw line. DeLuca hit 6 of 8 from the line, Skylar Maricle went 3-for-4 and Levi Decker was 4-for-5.

Decker had 20 points and Maricle finished with his varsity high of 19 points.

“I didn’t realize we had 30 in the fourth,” said Morris coach Dave Sander, whose team led, 47-43, entering the final quarter. “We drove a couple of times and Maricle and Levi both had and-1s.”

DeLuca scored 19 points in the first half, which ended with eighth-seeded Southern Cayuga leading, 33-32.

Morris led by 11 in the fourth quarter before Vince Stebbins hit the last of his four three-pointers for SC with about five minutes left. But Stebbins, who finished with a team-high 19 points, fouled out seconds later.

“He was their point guard and created shots by driving,” Sander said of Stebbins. “After he went out, we took control. (Cody) Myers scored all five of his points in the fourth quarter and hit a big three.”

Morris, which won the Tri-Valley League championship last Saturday, will play fifth-seeded Hunter-Tannersville in a semifinal Wednesday at Oneonta State.

“I think they’re a very good defensive team,” Sander said of H-T, which beat fourth-seeded Milford, 37-30, Saturday in a quarterfinal. “They’re going to press us and (Zach) Mudge is a hard kid to stop.”


Section Four

State Qualifier

Bainbridge-Guilford/Afton sophomore Julia Knapp won two events and Oneonta High senior Ben Gollin earned a spot in next weekend’s state meet during the Section Four State Qualifier on Saturday at Cornell University.

Knapp placed first in the 55-meter hurdles and the long jump. She cruised to victory in the hurdles, crossing 8.65 seconds. Vestal’s Megan Tinklepaugh was second in 9.00.

Knapp’s best long jump covered 16 feet, 9 ½ inches. Dryden’s McKenzie Todd placed second at 16-7 ¼.

Knapp will compete in both events in the state meet, which starts at 9 a.m. Saturday at Cornell.

Knapp’s teammate, eighth-grader Amanda Greenwood, finished third in the 300 in 43.62 and qualified for Section Four’s intersectional relay.

B-G/A also was responsible for the lone victory among area boys. Junior Pedro Aparacio won the shot put with a distance of 45-3 ¼. Aparacio beat runner-up Alind Barany of Binghamton by three inches.

Gollin also qualified, breaking his school record in finishing second to Corning’s Steve Rossettie in the 1,600. Gollin’s time of 4:32.28 broke his previous mark of 4:32.58. Rossettie crossed in 4:30.94.

“Ben was in the lead through 800 meters,” OHS coach Brady Cotter said. “Steve just outkicked him the last 800 meters. (Rossettie) didn’t have to push himself. He had already hit the qualifying standard, so he tried to help Ben get in under 4:30.”

Oneonta High’s boys also received third-place finishes from Mat Robinson and Cameron Hazard in the high jump and pole vault. Robinson cleared 5-8 in the high jump. Hazard went over 10-6 in the pole vault.

The Yellowjackets’ Aaron Murphy placed fourth in the triple jump, covering 40-11 ¾.

Gilbertsville-Mount Upton senior Eddie Cotton finished fourth in the long jump. His best jump covered 21-5.

For Oneonta’s girls, senior Jenn Jelic broke her school record in placing sixth in the 55 hurdles.

Jelic’s school-record time came in the semifinals, when she crossed in 9.12.

Jelic also joined Missy Emilio, Mary Buzzanca and Alexandra Sakoulas in breaking Oneonta’s 1,600 relay record. They finished third in 4:16.46, breaking the old mark by about five seconds.

The Yellowjackets also received a third-place finish from Brittney Herrick in the high jump. She cleared 4-10.

Trending Video

Recommended for you