Red Dragons sweep Mayor’s Cup titles

CHERYL CLOUGH SUNY Oneonta’s Witman Hernandez flicks the ball over Penn State-Harrisburg defender Jared Brewer during Sunday’s game at Red Dragon Field.

SUNY Oneonta senior Witman Hernandez scored a hat trick to lead the Red Dragons to a 4-0 victory against Penn State Harrisburg and, with it, the 2019 Oneonta Mayor’s Cup title. The title is the Red Dragons’ sixth overall.

“The Mayor’s Cup is always our first target of the season so it’s a good start for us,” Oneonta coach Iain Byrne said in a media release. “Congrats to Witman and Scott on their awards...well deserved.”

Oneonta (4-0) got off to a fast start, generating some early scoring opportunities until Hernandez got the Red Dragons on the board in the 17th minute.

The play started with a chip into the box by freshman Denis Fleming that was controlled by sophomore Arkadij Raiz. Raiz chipped a pass to his right where Hernandez redirected the ball past the Nittany Lions’ keeper.

Despite outshooting Harrisburg, 8-1, in the opening half, the Red Dragons took a one-goal lead into halftime.

Oneonta broke the game open with a pair of early second half goals. Junior Scott Cebollero converted a penalty kick in the 48th minute after Hernandez was fouled inside the box. Cebollero took the honor of Defensive MVP.

Hernandez scored two minutes later off an assist from Cebollero,and tallied his third goal in the 83rd minute on an assist from classmate Giraldo Ritaccio. Hernandez’s performance during the two-day tournament earned him the Offensive MVP award.

Oneonta outshot the Lions 19-6. Freshman Nate Hanna made two saves to record his second shutout in as many starts.

The Red Dragons travel to The Sage Colleges on Saturday at 12 p.m.

St. Lawrence 3, Hartwick 0

St. Lawrence received two goals from Aidan Callahan in the first 14:07 of action and added a third goal 10 minutes into the second half to defeat Hartwick on Sunday during day two of the Mayor’s Cup.

The Saints got on the scoreboard in the 5th minute after Matthew Lawlor served a ball from the far sideline into the penalty area. Callahan was there to head it home for the early lead.

In the 15th minute, the Hawks were whistled for a hand ball in the box which resulted in a penalty kick. Callahan stepped up and scored past Hartwick goalkeeper Britt Reisman to double the Saints’ lead.

The Hawks had their best scoring chance of the day following Jimmy Noel’s free kick from midfield. The ball glanced off a Saint defender’s head and Troy Amegashie collected the ball with his chest. With his back to goal, he shot toward the far post, just wide of the mark.

In the second half, the Saints struck in the 56th minute as Andrew Terhune headed in Marvin Sibanda’s corner kick.

Hartwick visits Bard College on Saturday at 2 p.m.


SUNY Oneonta 4, Susquehanna 2

SUNY Oneonta defeated Susquehanna, 4-2, to win its ninth Oneonta Mayor’s Cup title and first since 2016.

Oneonta posted a pair of goals in the opening 14 minutes of the match.

The first came from combination play between senior Abby Ousouljoglou and junior Micaela Honsinger. Ousouljoglou carried the ball into the box before chipping a pass to her right, where Honsinger got her head on the ball for her first goal of the season.

The Red Dragons grabbed a two-goal advantage three minutes later when senior Christina Kornfeld converted a penalty kick after being dragged down in the box. Kornfeld’s performance during the two-day event earned her the Offensive MVP.

Freshman Emma Kirkpatrick made it 3-0 in favor of the hosts, scoring an unassisted goal in the 56th minute. Kirkpatrick was well outside the box on the right flank and sent a ball toward the goal from a tight angle, but the shot flew into the goal for Kirkpatrick’s second strike in as many days. She was named Defensive MVP of the tournament.

The River Hawks got on the scoreboard in the 79th minute when Anna Werner converted a penalty kick.

Oneonta was outshot by the River Hawks, 22-10, including a 13-3 margin in the second half. Oneonta goalkeeper Celeste Trevellini made 13 saves in her first start of the season.

The Red Dragons host Vassar College for a nonconference match Saturday at 2 p.m.

Hartwick 1, Clarkson 0

Hartwick bounced back from a loss to Susquehanna on Saturday to defeat Clarkson on Elmore Field during day two of the Mayor’s Cup.

Hartwick broke the 0-0 tie with about 10 minutes left. Gabrielle Kreppein tracked a ball into the penalty area where she was taken down for a penalty kick. She sent the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead and her first goal of the season.

Kreppein and Maggie Rogers were named to the all-tournament team for their performances over the weekend.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, traveling to Skidmore for a 7 p.m. start.

Recommended for you